Saturday, April 03, 2010

Washington in a Whirlwind

This week was spring break for the girls, so we headed down to see cousins Rachel and Anna in Washington DC, and take advantage of their hospitality so we could see the sites. Jeff joined us for the weekend which was a wonderful treat. For my own journaling purposes, as well as to provide the kids with a trigger for their own memories, here's a list of what we did. I feel like we need to go back for a six month stay to do everything that sounded worthwhile. Such an amazing city full of inspiring and educational experiences.
  • African drumming concert at the Kennedy Center. Ok, this was pretty much a bust. It was a free concert, and we got there late, which meant the kids couldn't see at all. Meg was sour, Hannah read her book, and Ali squirmed . . . until she started dancing. Like a wild woman. Wish we'd had a video camera. Hannah finally wiggled forward and enjoyed the ending, and Meg & Rachel went to look at the Potomac, so all's well that ends well.
  • New WWII Memorial on the Mall--it's new and they did an inspiring job on it. So glad it's there. Such a powerful reminder of our nation's unity and courage in a difficult time.
  • Reflecting Pool between Lincoln Memorial & Washington Monument--all of which Meg learned about in school recently. We talked about Martin Luther King Jr and threw pebbles in the pool. You probably aren't supposed to do that. The pebble part, I mean.
  • Jefferson Memorial. I almost murdered 2 of the girls in the restroom there. I don't remember why, but I'm glad I didn't in hindsight. They're usually well behaved.
  • Cherry Blossom Festival--Kids Zone & Junior Ranger tent, where the kids made origami frogs, tissue paper cherry blossoms, and learned about Japanese writing. We now need to get a cherry tree.
  • Pedicure (ok--that obviously had no educational benefit, but Anna graciously watched the kids so Rachel and I could go indulge in a guilty pleasure)
  • Smithsonian Kite Festival with kite making and kite fighting--so awesome. Now we also have to go fly kites. Good thing it's March. Wait. It isn't March anymore. Close enough.
  • Library of Congress Experience (Amazing. Really. Hannah totally wants to go back, & Meg loved it too. All redone & opened in 2008. Go.)
  • Freer Gallery of Art which I thought was cool, but it totally bored the kids. Why aren't they into Asian art? Come on!
  • Smithsonian Natural History Museum where we saw The Ruby Slippers, inaugural gowns of many of America's First Ladies, and Archie Bunker's arm chair. I think the significance of the latter was lost on the girls.
  • Smithsonian American History Museum
  • Smithsonian Castle & the awesome gardens surrounding it
  • Congressman Tim Bishop's office--where we met one of his staffers who gave us a private tour of the Capitol (call yours! soooo cool!) including where congress meets during a joint session, the old Supreme Court meeting room where Lincoln was man-handled after arguing his first case, the room where JFK was laid out after his assasination, underground tunnels connecting House offices with the Capitol, etc.
  • Arlington National Cemetary where we talked about the kids grandfathers who faught in WWII
  • National Cathedral with amazing stained glass & a really cute children's chapel. Really.
  • Smithsonian National Zoo
  • Got together with a friend from high school

Add to that the fact that the only expenses were metro, parking, food, and the rental of a double stroller at the zoo (again, tempted to discretely dispose of a child), and I feel like we got a steal of a deal. Oh, yeah. There was the pedicure . . .



P.S. In case you couldn't tell, the girls took all the pics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So many memories you made! Wish I had been there to watch and reminisce - our first trip to DC was with kids the same age as yours AND Granny. Good times. I remember thinking about homicide a time or two, too. Fun pictures.