Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ummm . . . I can't think of a title . . .

Ali spoke in preschool yesterday. Really. She did. She whispered in the ear of the parent helper. We've been going to a story time at the library with this woman and her twin girls who are in Ali's class. And for whatever reason, she finally decided to sit on her lap at school and whisper to her that she wanted to help get the snack ready . . . and I think a few other things. But I was so shocked at the revelation that I didn't think to ask what else she'd said! We're making progress!

On other news, Jeff is still waiting to hear back on the many job applications he sent out, and I am trying very hard to not think about it. The kids are hoping we don't move. Or that if we do move, it's somewhere closer to Disney World. Or somewhere where we could have a pool or a playroom. Or a hamster. Jeff is also trying very hard to not let a work issue spill over into life at home. He NEVER brings his work home. But a former professor of his once said that everytime he treats someone with this particular problem, he gets himself into therapy. The joys of psychology.

Megan is busy busy busy planning her birthday party and her baptism. She asked me today if we could send out her party invitations on February 2nd. Sure, kid. Whatever you say. I've just about given up searching for a lovely white dress for her to wear the day she is baptised. I've searched everywhere conceivable except for The Mall. I've tried the Gap, Old Navy, Children's Place, Lands End, LL Bean, OshKosh, Gymboree, Sears, Justice, Carters, Strasburg Childrens (ouch--found a lovely dress for $150), Tommy Hilfiger Kids (couldn't hurt to try!), J Crew Kids, Walmart, Target, Kohls, BJs, several online stores, 3 local thrift stores (hey! maybe I'd find a cute communion dress that was only worn once!), and 3 local independent children's boutiques. Any suggestions???? As for the birthday party--Meg has it all planned. And for the baptism--she's excited. We're having Family Home Evenings on baptisms for the next few weeks to make sure she feels ready, but she is ready already. Six months ago, I didn't think that she would be. But she is. Amazing. So grown up. She tries very hard to be kind and to do the right thing. Such a strong, great spirit in such a little body. No wonder she gets frustrated sometimes. :)

Hannah is doing great. She started band this morning and reported that the band director told the saxaphone players that he would be yelling at them a lot this year since they were the NOISIEST instrument in the band. She also told me that she is in the very front of the clarinet section right by the band director, and I am secretly assuming that he put her there as first chair since she is obviously the best. It was all I could do to bite my toungue and not give her a complex. Of course, his seating arrangement may have taken other factors into consideration. Hannah also had Activity Days today at church. She LOVES hanging out with her friends at church, and is always absolutely LIVID when I make her cut her finger nails for piano because that means that she can no longer chase the boys at church and threaten them with her long pinky nail. I'm so glad that she's having such an enriching experience at church.

Well, Jeff just came downstairs, sat across from me, and when I said "what?" replied: "I just wanted to come look at something that makes me smile for a while." Guess that's my cue to end this post. :)

4 comments:

clair said...

Wow, It's hard to believe that Hannah is in Activity Days. That is so weird to me.

I bet you could just make Megan's dress. You're good like that. :)

And I assume Jeff was talking about you when he made that sweet comment?

Liesl Christensen said...

It looks like the church's distribution is out of some sizes of white children's dresses, but maybe . . . Good luck. I can't believe the girls are so big!

http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10151&categoryId=13778&langId=-1&cg1=13735&cg2=2&cg3=&cg4=&cg5=

Sara said...

Oh, Clair. What misguided confidence you have in me. I made myself a skirt once that fell apart, and a jumper with armholes too small for my arms. I am trying to teach myself to sew right now, but I think this project would be far beyond my current abilities. But yes, Jeff was talking about me. What a sweetie. :) Love that guy.

And Liesl! So great to bump into you! Of course, with my current luck, church distribution would be out of her size. But thanks for the tip. I'm sure we'll figure something out yet!

Therese said...

I don't know if this is nice enough for a baptism, but I really like this little dress in white from Mini Boden:

http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Girls-Dresses/33127/Girls-Broderie-Shift-Dress.html