The Zoo collection includes the following exhibits: Jeff, Sara, Hannah, Megan, and Allison.
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
What political party does Sara belong to? Bet you guess wrong . . .
Jeff and I have been following Mitt Romney's campaign fairly closely recently, and perhaps you've caught some of the news . . . or not. We have been fascinated by some of the press he is receiving, particularly since we share something in common with him--our religion. I thought I'd toss this article out from the LA Times. I was particularly impressed with it's resemblance to the experiences that we have had in regard to church and politics. It has an excellent summary of church policies on politics, as well as how those policies are put into practice on a pragmatic level. Here's another one from the Rochester paper I read growing up, the Democrat and Chronicle, written by a lay leader in my parents congregation. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Dad.) He summarizes quickly a bit of the debate going on between Mormons and many other Christian faiths. Regardless of the final outcome of Romney's campaign, we are intrigued by the burgeoning conversation happening right now in the national media about our faith. It provides an opportunity for dialogue, and greater understanding--and those are always good things. And if you're wondering what the answer to the title question is . . . having grown up the daughter of a Republican who hangs signed pictures of Bush on the walls, and a strident die-hard Democrat, I am (drum roll, please) a conficted undecided Independent!
3 comments:
hey, my mom sent this to me... about Mitt Romney on McLaughlin Report: http://rawstory.com/rawreplay/?p=229
Clearly playing a Mormon on TV makes you an expert.
I had read quite a bit online about his comments, but hadn't watched it yet. The other guests make him (not Mitt, the guest--Donnelly? What's his name?) look like more of a jerk than I'd realized. Wow. Amazing how incomplete and just wrong his info was. Joseph Smith's platform was pro-abolition . . . and and and . . .
Jeff Clark is "a leader of the church in the Rochester area." He is the Palmyra Stake President. Another "leader of the church in the Rochester area" is Keri Jensen, President of the Rochester Stake. (In the church a "stake" typically has 1500 to 2500 members.)
Yup. There are "trinkets" and "certificates" from local, state and national Republican fund raisers on the walls and on shelves here at 108 Stoneleigh Ct. :) And on one of our cars is a bumper sticker that clearly celebrates the last day of our Republican President's leadership.
: )
Post a Comment