Anonymous
When juggling rubber chickens
by the neck
in public
Be careful
not to choke them
Poem found here. We jokingly named this blog the Snarr Zoo when the kids were little. It seemed like an appropriate title since they acted like monkeys when they climbed all over the furniture and sounded like lions and tigers when they had temper tantrums . . . and we felt like we were living in a pigpen half the time with cheerios all over the floor and boogers smeared on our sleeves!
But recently I've started feeling like I'm stuck perpetually in the circus. My role? Juggler. Since moving over to Spencerport, I've wanted to put our roots down quickly and deeply, so I've reached out to community groups and the schools in an attempt to form a group of warm loving people around my children and our family. This is happening. It's a wonderful thing. But I'm starting to think I've overextended myself. Jeff and I are both prone to that . . . post for another day perhaps. So now I'm wondering where to pull back. So hard, because every role is something meaningful to me. I love it all. And they all affect my children and family is significant positive ways. Any suggestions? Anyone want to make the hard choices for me? Please?
YW leader
church organist
girl scout troop co-leader (at least I'm not the leader this time!)
8th grade struggling-student study hall volunteer
middle school library volunteer
closet spackler/painter
gardener/landscaper
Mormon Area Choir member
Bioethics student at local college
substitute teacher
tutor? not yet, but considering it . . .
mother
wife
online book club moderator
long distance sewing club moderator that I completely dropped the ball on
chaos theory discussion group member
PTA volunteer
substitute high school/middle school choir pianist
And there are other things I'm thinking about . . .
Hannah has signed up for wonderful clubs at school, and Meg just entered that phase this year. She's doing the jazz band, and the drama club, and the school choir, and . . . . if any of these groups need parental help, like painting sets, etc. . . . I'll feel like I need to help out to support my child. I WANT to.
Grrr.
7 comments:
oh my goodness!!! How i the world were you such an amazing RS pres? I'm sure you were just as involved then. I don't know how moms of older kids do it. I'm terrified!
Bathe once a quarter, don't use deodorant, don't wash your hair or clothes. Your community will then step up and solve many of these prioritization questions for you!!!
:)
Sheldon
Yeah . . . No. Lori, I was not that involved in the community. I was not exploring job options, I was not as involved in the schools, and I did not have two callings. And we already had a fabulous network around us so I didn't feel a need to reach out and get involved the same way I do here. So no. You'll do just fine, love.
But Sheldon . . . I'll have to consider your suggestions. Although they might be slightly counterproductive considering my goal of getting to know people & making friends. lol!
Love this post because I feel the same way!
I don't see "sleep" on your list? Exercise? And most importantly - don't forget to pray! Prayer is the best guide to realizing which of the many things we could be doing is the most important. Good luck!
Nice post. I used to be checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Very helpful info particularly the closing part :) I deal with such info much. I used to be looking for this particular info for a long time. Thank you and good luck.
Hey There. I found your weblog the use of msn. This is a really well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read extra of your helpful info. Thank you for the post. I will certainly comeback.
Post a Comment