Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Boo!

 Sorry to scare you with this first picture! Whew! It's a winner! This is Ali's BEAUTIFUL ginger bread house from Christmas. This is a catch up post. I think it probably fits better with Halloween, but she loved it. Can you tell?? (Sorry it's sideways--combination of technical difficulties combined with technical laziness.)
 Ali and Megan have taken to the joys of digital imagery. When you are 6 and a half, and 10 years old, the joys are really just one joy: unlimited pictures. That's why I have over 400 pictures on my camera. That is also why I have pictures of me in my pajamas with a triple chin, and crooked pictures of dishes on the table, and a whole series of pictures from a photo shoot with Scruffy. She is apparently lying on a cardboard box in the kitchen passed out from a pancake sugar coma. I'll let the image tell the rest of the story.
 We went to Mendon Ponds park several times this year. These pics are from the first time we went. Which, incidentally, turned out to be the most successful outing in terms of chickadee feeding. I think the 9am hour had something to do with that . . . never could quite make it that early again . . . Anyway, I love this first picture. The birds are amazing. They weigh as much as a nickle. Really. You can barely feel them. If they are hungry enough--meaning it's cold & wintery and it's early in the day before the masses have come and dropped their peanuts and sunflowers all over the woods--then the chickadees will come eat out of your hand. Really. I love this first pic of Ali--she got hardly any birds (although she did get a few) but she was such a good sport about it. Hannah turned out to be the bird whisperer. She'd find a spot near the edge of the path near a bush, put out her bait, and just wait like a statue. Meg & Ali had a harder time standing still, although they had a blast too. Every 30 seconds or so, Meg would move closer to the birds. For some reason, they kept moving away. :)  Such a magical place. We had nuthatches and a few titmice come too!

No comments: